Thursday, December 24, 2009

In Memory of Marjorie Adell Smith-AKA-My Mom


Today I have been out of sorts despite the plan for a very relaxing Christmas Eve Day before I head back to work tomorrow.  It was as if I had PMS after "the monthly event".  Very strange feelings today.  And it is not as if I don't remember what this day represents to my family but I guess it was just not at the front of my mind.

Then the mail arrived and I received some beautiful Christmas cards from friends and family across the US.  Later today the door bell rang.....when I finally got the dogs calmed down and made it to the door the UPS man was already gone and there in my mailbox sat a small package.

I opened the package that my God Mother sent to me.  She often blesses me with kitchen towels or note pads alway thoughtfully picked out just for me.  So as I opened the package I was expecting a similar gift to years past.  Instead there sat this plaque that looked vaguely familiar to me.  Inside there was this handwritten note in my Aunt Jane's beautiful script stating that she decided to re-gift this to me.  She shared in the note that many years ago (guessing in the 1970's) mom had lovingly made this for her and now she felt that I may want to have it.

At this moment, I realized why I have been out of sorts all day long.....19 years ago today my mom died of lung cancer on Christmas Eve.   That is why I feel the way I do today and hadn't figured it out until this package arrived.  What a thoughtful gift for me to receive today and I thank you Aunt Jane for thinking of it.

Mom was such an example of faith to me those first 20 years of my life.  She showed love to everyone in her path and you see "God is Love".  So in this and many other ways she showed Christianity to me through action as we should all be showing to those around us.  They don't want to hear our words, but instead desire to see us exemplify Christ.

Merry Christmas to all of my family and friends.

Stacey

No comments: