Saturday, August 15, 2009

Facebook.....a place for connection but also a place to be an example to others

I think we can all agree that through Facebook we have been able to reconnect with many friends from our past. I think we would also agree that Facebook has been a great way to keep up with friends' and family members' daily lives and enjoy many pictures!

What I would like us to now ponder is the example we leave in print on Facebook daily......

A couple of comments have been made to me recently that have caused me to pause and ponder the power of Facebook. I was visiting with a friend over lunch in Maryland 2 weeks who I have not seen in over 16 years and she asked early on in our visit about "my story". Well, me being a bit slow started telling her about how Mark and I met and a little about our lives. Later on when Mark had gone to sit off to the side to give us time alone she asked me again, "so tell me your story" only this time she added this statement:

"Stacey when I first found you on Facebook I was of course thrilled to get back in touch. As I read more and more on your page and looked over your photos and interests I kept saying to myself, 'this is not the same Stacey that I went to college with; something is much different." And she repeated, "so tell me your story" and this time I got what she was asking! Now let me preface this by saying, I was not a wild child in college but I made some wrong choices and let's just say tested the waters of being away from home a little too often. So at this point in our lunch I proceeded to share my story of become a Christian with my friend because after all this is what she had been asking about the entire visit.

The other comment I had recently was from my husband and he was commenting on one of our friend's Facebook pages who we attend Forest Pointe with. He commented one evening to me, she must really be unhappy at her job all she says in her posts every day is how glad she will be when her day is over, 3 days over, how frustrating her job is. That made be think of another friend who is always putting in her status how the people she deals with at work are frustrating her, "work ugggg", etc. Now I don't think either of these friends meant to come across as being unhappy with employment but as just a way of commenting through their daily lives.

Now I know I tend to be a little over the top with my optimism and joyfulness but this has really made me think about how we come across to others on Facebook and other public arenas so readily available on the world wide web these days. It also made me realize after talking with my friend over lunch that day that we could be reaching others for Christ on Facebook and that WOW'd me! I want to be that example that says, "hey this girl is different than the world" and makes others want to know why that is because I love my God and want everyone to know that! Have a blessed day!


3 comments:

Oneneedler said...

Loved visiting with you Stacey. What a great story you have. So glad you came back to blogger for your blogging needs, now I can keep up with you. Love you girl!

Unknown said...

Hey Kim! You were one of the reasons that I did! Most everyone can get to blogger!

Sandy said...

Great thoughts and good reminder! Hope you and Mark are doing well. Love your blog, Stacey!